Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Game of Thrones, Season 7 Episode 1 (Pogo Bedpan Edition)

I want to fill everyone in on where I started this season of GoT before I get into what I thought of the last episode.  To be blunt the pacing for the show has been crap for two or three seasons and who ever enabled fast travel in Westeros needs to be beaten with a bag of atlases.  In short I've been frustrated.

If anyone wants a greater accounting of my opinions that that let me know in the comments.

I'm going to try to avoid spoilers but there's only so much I can do.  If you really care please come back after you see the episode.

So S7E1... sure.  It was pretty good.  The pacing was better than a bunch of the episodes in the last few seasons and they actually have multiple characters that I at least vaguely care about interacting which feels sadly novel.  Sansa and John's argument was good, I'm just not sure if Sansa was actually arguing for her side of if she was stating a possible concern aloud so that John could respond to it and thus pull its fangs.  Damn, Littlefinger.  Makes me paranoid just being there.

Okay.  So my big issue with the episode, as in the point were I started yelling at the screen, was Euron's Armada.  Apparently all you need to build a thousand ships is to tell people to do it.  They were stranded on Pike.  Where did they get the lumber?  Maybe you can put together a ship or two from salvage but it would still take years to do.  This is one of those places where they really should have had Euron pull out a magical trinket and summon a fleet or something.

Also.  Why doesn't he have one creepy all black eye?  I know HBO gets cheep in weird places but a contact lens is not an expensive prop and would have made him a proper Croweye.

Let me know what you thought of the episode and I'll see you again after episode 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment